This site is being deprecated.

Please see the official X‑Plane Support page for help.

0 votes
asked by (15 points)
edited by

So I have an issue with a CTD when trying to load a flight.  I have been told a couple of times that the crash happens at the driver.  I am beginning to believe it is not a driver issue but an XP issue.  When I open the Log after a crash I noticed this:

OpenGL Vendor    : NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Render    : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 OpenGL Engine

OpenGL Version   : 2.1 NVIDIA-10.31.25 387. (210/0)

The first two lines are correct, but the third does not match up with what I actually have installed on my machine.  I have the latest ...40.118.  Anyone has any insight on this issue, I have been working on this since 11.30 betas began to come out and I feel I'm getting closer to the culprit.... maybe not? lol laugh

Keep in mind I was able to duplicate the CTD on a fresh copy of 11.31r1, in fact my working copy of 11.31r1 actually works in some situations where as a fresh copy does not work at all!


Thanks to Davco, a community member, I was able to determine that the OpenGL version cannot be updated and the version that the xp log spits out is partly correct.  So I'm stumped and currently back at square one. 

Another thing I'd like to add is that I have tried loading 11.31r1 using the native graphics card, an Intel Iris 650, on my MacBook Pro (I have an eGPU setup) and I am able to load without any crashes.

I'm getting closer to just sell my 1070 and getting a Vega 56 in hopes to resolve this issue... :: sigh :: 


Just got an email from XP.  Email said they are working on a fix in 11.32! 

1 Answer

0 votes
answered by (130 points)

Download this Utility to check your OpenGL Version and, if necessary, use the 'Check for updated drivers' option.

commented by (15 points)

Thanks for your input! Using this utility made me do a little more research and came to the conclusion that OpenGL cannot be updated.  The version OpenGL that it shows is technically the "hardware" version. What got me all confused is that the way NVIDIA names their web drivers and the OpenGL number versions is identical.  NVIDIA web drivers are 387. and the OpenGL version of my card ends with 387. which as you can see, if you don't have any experience with this, you might assume that something was off.  Anywho... it seems I'm back at square one. 

The info on the XP log still does not match up with the GLview data:

XP Log:  OpenGL Version   : 2.1 NVIDIA-10.31.25 387. (210/0)

GLview: Version: 4.1 NVIDIA-10.31.25 387.